Fakepixels - Literature Notes
See Sources/Fakepixels - Newsletter #unfinished #literaturenotes
# Vol. 58: Dance me to the end of love
- Cards/Catachresis is a statement is so astonishingly wrong that it feels right.
- It was originally defined by rhetorician Quintilian as ==a transfer of terms from one place to another when no proper word exists.==
- We’re prone to see life as binary – where only one narrative can triumph over others.
- Inductive: aims at developing a theory
- Deductive: aims at testing an existing theory
When we can’t see the road ahead clearly, ==we’re vulnerable to believe in inductive or deductive narratives that reduce the multivariate reality into a logically sound frame with controlled and static variables.== Currently, arguments around whether we will forever move away from urban centers, or we will only be working remotely, or we will hang out with friends only in VR, or we will be digitally exhausted demonstrate these qualities, where a few variables render a few versions of the reality. The natural reaction to these narratives is to follow one of these faithfully and to dispel the existence of others
- In reality, the future may interweave both inductive and narratives. This is Cards/Metamodernism at work.
==The future might actually have both realities interweaving harmoniously without feeling like a transgression.==
- ==Creators should be Metamodernists==.
Luke Turner, a British artist, writer, and a leader in the Metamodernist movement beautifully captured what it means to live in this newfound realization in this manifesto:
The present is a symptom of the twin birth of immediacy and obsolescence. Today, we are nostalgists as much as we are futurists. The new technology enables the ==simultaneous experience and enactment== of events from a ==multiplicity of positions.== Far from signalling its demise, these emergent networks ==facilitate the democratisation of history,== illuminating the forking paths along which its grand narratives may navigate the here and now.
I believe this is not just the job of an artist’s or a scientist’s, but anyone who’s trying to create. The task is as much ==invention== as it is ==paying attention to what’s been here through lenses of multiplicity.==
- Venture builders are actually just considering ==possible “ifs”== and how they’re ==connected== to one another.
When we think about venture building, what we are really considering is the possibilities of these “ifs” and their connections to one another.