# On Addiction
- Good definition of addiction: It starts when you drink the bottle, and ends with the bottle drinking you.
- Related to Margaret Silf’s Sources/Inner Compass reading: A disordered attachment is like a hook. It makes you lose your freedom.
- Summary of Cards/The First Principle and Foundation: God desires that we experience the best life we can live. The people and things in our lives are meant to aid towards that best possible life.
- Warning: But it’s possible to get attached to or hooked on people and things.
- When your whole life revolves around some thing, person, idea, or experience…even if it’s supposedly good.
- ==Attachment starts with good things==…things that feel good.
# Introduction to Attachments
- So while some attachments can be healthy, well-ordered commitments, others can become unhealthy, destructive obsessions.
- These are disordered attachments: an unhealthy dependence on any thing, person, idea, or experience that keeps us from fulfilling the will of God which is to live the best life we can.
- Disordered attachments shrink our world into the confines of our unhealthy and destructive self – ==preoccupation==
- Rule of Thumb: If it causes you and others harm, then it is likely a disordered attachment.
- Note: harm isn’t always immediate
- Remember: disordered attachments lead to disordered decisions.
- So don’t discern when you’re attached! You’d lack the interior freedom to decide properly